Thursday, December 4, 2014

Transmetropolitan [Comic Book Review]

If you've been following my blog for any amount of time, you will know that in general I am ignorant of most non-manga comics. My experiences with Marvel and DC and really only come from the movies. This comic, Transmetropolitan, is one of the few I have actually read.


Well, I think his opinion is known... sometimes, it echoes too strongly.
This is an old(ish) comic series. The first graphic novel I have dates to 1997, and I have a first run. However I pull it out and read it every election. Considering we had an election just a month back, this review was inevitable.

5 out of 5 stars
It takes less than three lines to completely sell the entire ten volume graphic novel series. Three lines.

"I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the fact that the mad preist lady from over the river had taken to nailing weasels to my front door again." This is the inner monologue of a hirsute heavily tattooed man sitting in rather cluttered ramshackle cabin "up a goddamn mountain."
That is a shit-eating grin.

This man is Spider Jerusalem, journalist, writer, insane man with a mission. He curses constantly, carries a disturbing weapon (a bowel disruptor), hates everyone, and yet at the same time works for everyone. He is the elusive misanthropic philanthropist.  

Agreed.
He is a one man journalistic crusader... ok, that is a lie. He has two assistants over the time of the series, an editor, and a few others. He does not do it alone, but he is often fighting the entire world. I may be a bit hyperbolic here... but the series is told from Spider's perspective, and his perspective is a bit off-kilter.

I know I'm not giving the best review ever for a full five star series. There is a reason, I do not want to spoil any of the story. Any of it.

Any literary work that references H.L. Mencken, wins.
However I must say this is a powerful literary work. The references are stunning, the flow is amazing. There is only one huge regret I have about Transmetropolitan. In the modern age of comic book movies, this golden age of comic book movies, there is no Transmet movie. IMDB has one listed, but the last real update is over five years old. 
 
I want a Transmetropolitan movie series... but my fondest wish for the movie will never come true. I wanted Patrick Stewart to play Spider Jerusalem, but he is a touch too old now. He could however take on the role of Rossini later in the series. 

Just please, please, make this into a series of movies... please?

Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment