Friday, May 6, 2016

Time Chaser: Rifftrax Live Fathom Event (Rifftrax Event)

Woohoo! Yet another Rifftrax Live Event! 
This time they tackle a classic MST3K movie: Time Chasers. This was one of my all time favorite original MST3K episodes. 



"Castleton snob."
I've never gone to one of the live shows where they took on a movie they had already taken on before. But this was Time Chasers! Pink Boy on Tarmac!

4 out of 5 stars
Is this my lowest rated Rifftrax Live show? Nope - it is tied with Sharknado 2. I have my reasons for the lower rating this time. But honestly, not everything that Rifftrax does will be 5 Stars. They will have their off moments.
"Hi. I'm Bob Evil."

There were two things affecting this otherwise excellent riffing. Two things.

The first was an actual technical issue that started off being only a minor annoyance and easy to ignore, but that technical issue later became an actual noticeable problem. A very noticeable problem.

That problem was sound sync. Early in the show the audio seemed to have a problem and Nick's (the main character) voice was very sharp and echoing. That was corrected... however I think it caused the subsequent problem.

This may or may not have been an issue only for those who were receiving the broadcast, I do not know. However after the sharpness was corrected, the audio began to drift. At first it was light, only a small amount of drift, but by the end you would see a musket or cannon fire, and then a full second or more later hear the sound. Lips failed to sync on all levels. It was actually a bit distracting.

"No, this can't be the hero of the film, can it? Movie? Movie!
Can I see your supervisor, movie, this will NOT stand!"
The second problem was that I've probably seen Time Chasers more than almost any other MST3K episode aside from maybe Hobgoblins. The jokes from the original are almost all memorized. I heard them in my head as the movie played. That is why you will note that all the above images contain quotes from the MST3K episode. I know those. And they were funny. My friend made a comment that was probably true - this Rifftrax was the B jokes. They were still funny jokes, but they were not the memorable ones from the MST3K episode. And I was not the only one; I heard other people in the audience whispering the old jokes to one another.

I'm not saying that this was a bad Rifftrax at all... it was not. But it had it's problems.
It was cool to see what they cut in the original MST3K episode in order to make proper run time. And of course there was a a new short attached as well. They short was one of those 'what the hell was wrong with people at Castle Films?'

There will be another showing of the Time Chasers Rifftrax Live Show if you want to catch it.  


Holy crap... this movie actually made it to some form of DVD?

No comments:

Post a Comment