Saturday, June 6, 2015

Infinite Stratos 2 [Anime Review]

I never wrote a review for the first season of Infinite Stratos.
I think I watched that well before I began my blog.
This poses a problem.

These mecha seem inadequate for the protection of the pilot.
Well, sort of a problem.
Mainly I cannot relate back to my prior review and say, see there really was something sorta good in this series.

2 out of 5 stars
Wow this anime was empty.
Well, not really empty. Just pointless. And plotless.

I forget why they were wearing those pajamas. I'm not sure it matters.
I know what you are looking at...
If it were not for random mecha combat and loads of fan-service humor, this series would have nothing going for it. Well, it is nicely animated.

However that does not make up for the fact that the series was just so pointless. There are maybe three fan-service centric episodes out of twelve in the series. 25% of the entire series was dedicated to titilation, plus some in each episode anyways.

It was an accident, I swear.
Normally I'd not complain. However in most cases there is a significant plot going along side the fan-service. Let me list some examples:
- Maoyu: This series has its fanservice moments, but it is one of the most intelligent looks at war and its aftermath I've seen. How do you end a war that has been the economic backbone of multiple nations for years and years? How do you end a war so that the allies do not turn on one another? Brilliant anime. Interesting characters.
'Some clothes.'
- Noucome (No, I'm not going to write out the full title, it is insanely long). Of course this anime is filled with fan-service. It is a rom-com, which is very heavy on the comedy, which often involves fans-service situations. Still, it was hilarious and had a plot. Fantastic characters.
- Highschool DxD New: Despite my lower rating for the original Highschool DxD, the second season was good. Loads of fan-service, but also a strong plot and good characterization. 

Plot? You want a plot? Try to not jam it into three episodes.
Best line in the series.
Note one thing I've mentioned at the end of all of these? Characters. IS2 is seriously lacking strong characters. Our main character Ichika, is almost devoid of personality. He wants to 'protect' but that is it. He was more developed at the end of the first season, but he has regressed. A lot. There are a lot of girls, but they have lost of a lot of personality from the first season. They introduced three more named girls (at least, it might have been five or six actually), and I think the weight of characters just drowned out characterization.

Sure, image wise they are distinct, and a few of them have personalities that are different. But aside from small quirks, they really all have one main trait - obsession for Ichika. Mindless obsession.

Now about that lack of plot.
They tried to shoehorn one in at the end. In the last three episodes (maybe five), they introduce us to our main villain characters. There were of course the enemy soldiers, but these are the head honchos. However it was too little too late. There was not enough time to develop any sense of weight to the villains, and of course the series ends without resolving anything. They've set themselves up for a third season, but I've heard nothing about one even in production in Japan.  

I'm not shocked.
I wonder if the video game was any good? The manga? Something had to be to spawn two series. 

Anyways, I leave watching this one up to you. There is some comedy, there is fan-service, there are mecha battles, but there is not really a plot.

I just found it rather unsatisfying.
Hello Kitty.

And it had Nekomimi girls. I should have liked this series more.

No comments:

Post a Comment