Friday, November 20, 2015

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 [Movie Review]

You know what happened today?
Ticket prices went up again. It was only a dime, but damn it - theaters just keep upping the prices.
Oh yeah... and I saw a movie.

Star (aka: Victim) Squad.

I saw the second part of The Hunger Games Mockingjay.

I have a lot of opinions.

3 out of 5 stars
You want my first opinion right away? You want it now?

Fine.

This should never have been made into two films. NEVER.
A closer look at Victim Squad.
The first half, Part 1 really suffered from being only part of a full film. Part 2 suffers as well. Some good editing could have made this one solid movie. Even if you really demanded that it be 3 to 3.5 hrs. This did not need to be 5-5.5 hours of movie. It became slow at times that were not needed. It became so slow that my movie going buddy fell asleep about mid way through. Sure an explosion woke him up... but really movie. Do not put people to sleep! 
Bitey-Bitey's.

This movie suffers from one other major film sin.

The long walk to inevitability.
Predictability. Everything in this movie came off as being super trope-ish or super predictable. I'm not sure that a single that occurred did not make me want to face palm. Every single event was predictable from the deaths to the love interests... to the political shenanigans. All of it. Nothing shocked me.

And I've never read the books.  
I tried to... I could not stand the style they were written in. My reading enjoyment is negated by reading anything in present tense. Nothing aside from a DnD game should ever be written in present.  Nothing. Sure you might think there would be an argument for present tense, but you are wrong.

I think the high point of the Hunger Games was Catching Fire... the first one might have been good too if the cinematography was not utter crap.

Oh, but you know who was good in all of the movies? Woody Harrelson.
I wanted to like Jennifer Lawrence in all of them, and she is a good actress... I just really think these movies are not the best showcase of her talents. Oh yeah, Gwendoline Christie has a small role in this movie as well. You know her as Brienne of Tarth, and soon as Captain Phasma.

If you absolutely need to finish the series off, by all means see it.
But just realize that this is not exactly a good film. The action scenes are fun. I jsut wish the whole film was good, and not just jumping from one predictable scene to the next.

President Coin.
I'm sorry but that name has always been just plain awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment