Thursday, December 3, 2015

Star Wars Battlefront [PS4 Game]

The game has been out for a little over two weeks.
The Battle of Jakku is now out.



Still the best way to fly. From behind your ship

The sheer enjoyment of the BETA has worn off a little bit.

4 out of 5 stars
And a few irritants have arrisen.

That is the explanation of the loss of a star from the BETA.

However, lets be fair about this. I have been spending a significant amount of my gaming time (which is not all that much honestly), playing this. I've made level 21. Well behind other players. I don't even have the DL-44 opened up yet, but the game keeps insisting that I use blaster pistols to complete my challenges. Or killing AT-STs... which is more luck than skill as I've left plenty at 1% health only to die and have someone else get the kill.  
Jakku artwork.

The graphics are great.
The game is fun.
I don't mind dying a lot.

However there are a few things missing or problematic.

Jakku game play.
- Only 2 fighters per faction. Excluding the 'Hero' fighters. A-wings and X-wings for the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and TIE Fighters and TIE Interceptors for the Empire. You see Y-wings only in the missions where they ion torpedo AT-ATs. I want to fly TIE Advanceds, B-wing, Y-wings, and more...

- Maps! There are (were) only 4 real maps prior to Jakku. Endor, Hoth, Tatoonie, and Sullust. This is not nearly enough maps as far as I am concerned. Especially when the 'Star Ship' battles mainly occur above those same planets. Why can't we fly in the gas clouds of Bespin? What is also weird is the fact that the maps seem to cycle. You might have a night where you go in  a rotation of Hoth-Endor-Tatooine-Sullust followed by Hoth-Endor-Tatooine-Sullust, over and over and over.    

- Playing Empire on Endor. The Rebels actually use camo, which means they can be hard to see. It is something that takes adaptation. Not really something that is lacking, but something that was unexpectedly difficult.  

I'm having fun with the game. I just expected more (hello, $50 in four eventual DLCs - and what are those going to add? Single player? More maps? More guns? More ships? More modes? Inquiring minds wan to know). I think in the final tally, I'm actually satisfied with a four star rating. And I'll keep playing until I open up the Scout Trooper skin (lv 40) at least. 


No comments:

Post a Comment