Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Deadpool [Movie Review]

I had to sit and think about this movie for a long time before I could decide on a rating.
It was not an easy decision. Keep in mind that I do not read 99% of modern American comics (the new Star Wars comics are the exception). I did not have the immediate reaction I had with Where to Invade Next.


This was the best advertisement for this movie... ever. 
It smells like R-rated Victory.
I applaud Deadpool for the largest weekend opening for an
R-rated movie... ever, so far. That is impressive.
At least unlike some movies that I though and thought and thought about, this one did not get downgraded. I have stories about how much I slowly came to hate the most recent Robin Hood movie... the one from 2010. The more I stewed over that movie, the less I liked it.

4.5 out of 5 stars
It took me forever to realize what I had seen in before... Firefly! Stupid me.
She is hot.
Not the case for Deadpool.

So, that too is good for it.

Here's what really won me over.
I laughed a lot.
But even better, I remember the jokes. Lasting humor. That sold me.

I've also given up trying to rank my favorite Marvel movies. I don't think I can do it anymore. There are too many movies, and too many I really enjoy. It's kinda like watching Star Wars or Harry Potter... I don't just watch one of those films, I watch them all in order.
I thought he was going to suffer from the Worf Effect,
but honestly, he was not important enough for that.

Deadpool joins my Marvel movie watch order.

I was uncertain about it before actually entering the theater. You see, I really try to not buy into the hype of a movie, if I can avoid it. It can be difficult.

So I was refusing the hype as best I could.

But lets discuss the meat of the movie.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead.
Negasonic. WTF.
It was well constructed with a combination of flashbacks and Deadpool style fourth wall breaking. I have to admit, that was what worried me the most. Would that actually be funny?

Yes. Yes, it was. Some of my favorite jokes come from those moments, but I will not spoil them. You need to see it and enjoy it for yourself.

But the story was solid. Which is all I really ask for in a movie. A good solid story. (I'm not talking plot, I am talking story - there is a subtle difference in literature / film.)
This villain was Angel Dust... who is that? Is she
from X-men? Deadpool? Something else? Both?

I have lots of lingering questions... but most of them are not about important parts of the movie.

How much of the X-men universe, which I do know is Marvel, is going to be mixed into the MCU? There are rumors of Spiderman being in Civil War, might there be even more cross-overs from the MCU into X-men, and visa-versa? Do we retcon in the X-men films into the MCU? Will Deadpool appear in any of the other MCU films now?

And what is up with the name Negasonic Teenage Warhead? That is just... awful.

Still certainly an impressively fun movie with an R-rating. It got that rating more for the gratuitous use of the word f*ck than anything else... but it actually made moments in the movie seem more real. Reactions that deserve that expletive got that expletive.

I say, go see this movie.
Go with the understanding that this is not a tame film, not an all ages film.
But still go. 

Almost all serious scenes have a very short half life.
 Some previous Marvel Movie reviews (sadly not MCU because Fox is not Disney):

Thor: The Dark World
Captain America Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man



No comments:

Post a Comment