Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Final Chapter - A Memory of Light

I hate endings. 

No, seriously, I hate endings. 

No matter the subject; be it a saga of movies, a manga series, an anime, a long running series of novels or movies - the ending is rarely ever what you want. It represents an end to all the time and effort that has been invested in the characters, the world, everything. 

This represents decades of material, all at an end now.
The death of a beloved character is often easier to take, as the story, the world, the rest of the characters lives on. There are tales left untold so long as the world continues, so long as there is the potential for more.

But when an ending comes, I realize that all I really want is the next part of the story. There has to be more...
Turning now to A Memory of Light, I knew this was the final volume. We've known that for a while. I was prepared for the end, but at the same time I was wondering what, if anything, would come after.

There was so much in AMoL that it could have, and possibly should have been cut into two parts again and expanded. It is a fast book, for 900+ pages, it is quick. So much happens, so much is jammed together that I would re-read sections to make sure I absorbed it properly. And yet, when the end comes, it comes too quickly. I wanted more, I wanted it to be expanded. Like I've said, I hate endings. I always want more. I still want more.

And yet, I still really like the book. I'm going to be reading it again very soon. I love the series, it created such memorable characters, such a compelling world... so, I wanted more. So much more.

            "The wind blew southward, through knotted forests, over shimmering plains and towards lands unexplored. This wind, it was not the ending. There are no endings, and never will be endings, to the turning of the Wheel of Time.
            But it was an ending." [Brandon Sanderson, AMoL, p. 908]

Now, would someone please, please, please turn this series into either a TV show or a series of movies?

Works for hardcover too...

Why does it have to be over?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know who's going to read this, but just in case....

    ----------------------------------------------
    -------- WORLD RUINING SPOILERS BELOW --------
    ----------------------------------------------

    This is very much how I felt after I finished, especially since you and Jacob were both running behind me and I couldn't talk about it with ANYONE.

    I haven't listened to more than a couple minutes of the audiobooks since finishing, and I haven't touched any of the books. The whole thing just left me so drained. Happy, but completely drained. It's almost inconceivable that Merrilor happened in the same book. And that the Black Tower resolution did as well. It's hard to remember that really ANYTHING prior to the 190-page chapter came in the same book.

    And there was just SO MUCH. Demandred, totally out of left field and AWESOME. I want more of that (and we're going to be getting it later this year). Friggin' EGWENE. Friggin' LAN. Lan killed a MOTHERFUCKING FORSAKEN. LAN. Battles on four fronts. With some notable exceptions, I barely even remember who DIED, there was just too much happening. Rhuarc died, and I basically didn't notice or care. I have basically no memory of Aiel deaths. I have very little memory of deaths of most military characters. I know Karede was supposed to die, but I don't think he did. Bela died. JAIN MOTHERFUCKING FARSTRIDER.

    This is how you end a series - in style.

    ReplyDelete