Wednesday, December 11, 2013

James May's Man Lab - Series 1 [BBC Review]

I first discovered James May's Man Lab back in 2011, a little before the second series aired in the UK. I simply watched it because the titular host was James May from Top Gear, and I really like Top Gear. Man Lab has a total of three series covering thirteen episodes, and hopefully there will be more.


 This show is amazing. I'm really only rating Series 1, but trust me, every series is equally as good.
4.5 Stars
There are few other shows I've ever watched that have made me want to do carpentry. This one did. You too will want to build things after watching Man Lab.


In the space of one hour you will learn more useful skills than you can imagine. You will also likely learn a plethora of pointless proficiencies. The first episode alone covers everything from bomb disposal to how to serenade using the style of Thomas Campion (1567 – 1620).

Here's a list of the various tasks and skills used in the first episode.

- Disarming a WWII Bomb.
- Building a concrete kitchen counter.
- The Art of Seduction with Thomas Campion (1567 – 1620)
- Boot Polishing
- How to make a fish finger sammich
- Building a large scale model railway
How to use the word 'proud' without meaning pride.
- How to build a radio controlled picnic table.  

After watching an episode of Man Lab, I actually feel more well rounded. Like I could actually take the information I've just watched and immediately put it to use.

Each episode has segments for bettering yourself, teaching skills, construction, and there is often an invention segment as well.

Talk to yourself at the bar you both built.
I've seen every episode.
I want to build things.

I could spend my time gushing on about every single awesome creation and fun project, but really you should check it out yourself and see if you too have been motivated to go out and begin a complex project of carpentry.

There is no brilliant plot lines, no glittery special effects, no CGI combat sequences. This is just a crazy British DIY teaching show. And it is Great!

Now that's an office.

In memory of Thomas Campion (1567 – 1620).



No comments:

Post a Comment