Sunday, September 14, 2014

Doctor Who Series 8 - Listen (Episode 4) [TV Review]

 Peter Capaldi's chalkboard handwriting is absolutely atrocious.
Yes, that is the first thing I'm going to say about Series 8, episode 4, Listen.



This may  be favorite shot of the Doctor, Ever.
This is my favorite episode of season 4 so far. This is Moffat at his best. The slightly creepy, horror tinged episodes that also mix in humor and edginess.

5 out of 5 stars
This is what I love. This is like Silence in the Library and Forests of the Dead... or Blink. It's that edgy touch of horror that slips just inside our walls. I love it. It's not the crash bang shock horror, or the slasher blood and guts horror. Those are visceral forms of horror. This is the sneaking horror. I like it...

Instructions, you should follow them.

The Doctor is a bit crazy, that seems to be the Capaldi Doctor, not as stable as the others. More haunted, more dower. I'm liking this new direction with the Doctor. It's refreshing, and honestly that was the same feeling John Hurt brought to the doctor in his one episode.

The other bonus is that this episode does not seem to be fully integrated into the whole 'Seeking Paradise' theme of the season... which is fine, actually it is good. That whole premise seems goofy to me.

I'm not going to spoil this episode. I enjoyed it too much.
So much that I watched it twice. So much that I'm not sure I agree with Clara's assessment at the end. I think she wrong. Interesting, but wrong. I also loved, loved, the reuse of the Doctor's Space Suit from David Tennants time as the Doctor.

Best episode of the season so far. I wish Moffat wrote like this all the time, he writes better when he is more hands off for longer periods.

This looks says: 'Seriously. Make me a Companion or stop it.'
Previous reviews:
Previous Doctor Who Series 8 reviews:
- Episodes 1 & 2: Deep Breath & Into The Dalek.
- Episode 3: The Robots of Sherwood

No comments:

Post a Comment