Sunday, September 7, 2014

Doctor Who Series 8 - The Robots of Sherwood (Episode 3) [TV Review]

Image from the Radio Times.
Another week and another brand new series 8 Doctor Who episode.
This one was written by Mark Gatiss, yes, by Mycroft Holmes and an Iron Banker of Bravos.



What did you do to my TARDIS?
This was a pretty fun epsiode, save for one fatally silly moment. But you know what two utterly awesome things were?

4 out of 5 stars
The first awesome thing was the utter and complete lack of Daleks. If we see no more Daleks for the rest of this season and even the next, then I will be really really happy. We have seen them too much. We need a break.

Davinci plays Robin Hood. Yes!

The second is that this was in no way touched by Moffat. While he has been the force behind some excellent episodes such as Silence in the Library & Forests of the Dead, his recent stuff seems somewhat lacking. So it is nice to see other writers. In addition to this episode, Mark Gatiss wrote the Crimson Horror, one of the funniest episodes of the Matt Smith seasons.  

All good things.

This episode also co-stars Tom Riley from Davinci's Demons. That is another series I'm rather happy with. He portrays a pretty good Robin Hood. Maybe even better than Jonas Armstrong (from the BBC's Robin Hood TV series), but he only gets an episode to show it, and it is a silly episode.  
I am the LAW!

There are a few silly things in the episode.

Well there is one glaring one, and it is sort of crucial to the climax, so I'm not going to spoil it. However it boggled my mind. It literally made no sense at all... I mean I could see what they were reaching for, but it still made no sense.

There were the connections to the whole Seeking Paradise plot, but no direct scenes with Missy, whoever she is. I've seen speculation that she is the Rani or the Valeyard (that makes no sense)... but maybe it is someone new. I've a few of theories of my own, but they will probably not pay off.

But we will see...

Until next week's episode.


Flirting. Stop flirting!

Previous Doctor Who Series 8 reviews:
- Episodes 1 & 2: Deep Breath & Into The Dalek.

No comments:

Post a Comment