Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Iron Sky [Movie Review]

I missed Monday's update due to the NFL doing a double header. Hopefully they will not do any more of those on Monday nights. Remember that for the moment, during Doctor Who season 8, Friday updates are moved to Saturday.


So that's why we never went back to the moon!
Ok, ok. Less about updates, and more about the review.

I watched Iron Sky. I head about this movie a while ago, and finally got around to watching it. I had to. The premise was too funny to ignore.

2.5 out of 5 stars
We're Nazi's on the Moon.
I really wanted to give this movie more stars... it was funny. Very funny. However the humor does not always come from the movie's intent. Sometimes you are laughing at it, not with it. I will say right now that this movie should be given the Rifftrax treatment. It is begging for it. 

There is a political message in the movie... oddly.
I mean, who can take any movie about moon Nazi's seriously. No one. Thus you know it is going to be a comedy. It is. It really is.

All of the budget had to go towards CGI.
They make fun of a lot of things, including but not limited to: US politics, International Relations, Finland (which is the country this movie is from)... and more. It actually also has commentary about those very things, plus bits about racism, censorship, and a few other things.

There is more to the movie than you expect. But the acting at times is just so bad... so so bad. Then again, watching the Mir speed off towards the moon is pushing a little beyond my ability to suspend my disbelief. Especially since Mir is gone...  and has been since 2001.

Would I suggest watching it?
Sure, but do not take it seriously. Also, the bad acting is just something you will have to deal with.

I gave it 2.5 stars mainly because I'm of two minds about it. There were parts that were very fun, and parts that were just cringe worthy. The special effects were unexpectedly good... if silly, ie: Space Zeppelins.

It might be worth checking out, and if Rifftrax ever does a riff of it... oh, it will be glorious.   

Click on this image and look at the bright dot in the lower left quadrant.


No comments:

Post a Comment