Monday, December 22, 2014

The Devil is a Part-Timer [Anime Review]

It has been a while since I've watched a dubbed anime series.
However I accidentally began watching this in English, and I always associate the first voice I hear with the character. I did check out the Japanese because I wanted to see if both the English and the Japanese language dubs had the same 'other world language.'



Never expected Supersize Me to appear in an anime.

So, it appears that I've been on a bit of a Devil / Demon kick recently. Having not too long ago watched Maoyu. This follows in its stead with yet another tale of a demon king. 

4.5 out of 5 stars
The Devil is a Part-Timer is a very good anime. As per usual with most modern anime, the animation is crisp, clean, and the production values are very high. This, I would hazard a strong guess, is a result of the modern CGI employed to do the animation. Yes, they use cell paint styles on the CGI, but it lowers costs and decreases production time. 
Working at McRonalds... not the most evil job ever.

This is actually the story of how a well-to-do dark lord was cast down and in order survive he had to take on a part-time job at a fast-food joint. Living paycheck to paycheck as so many must. It could have been a poignant story, and some of that potential is used in such a way, but it instead the story is a comedy and thus lighthearted. Not completely, but the comedy is the primary theme.

That's a good question.
Minor Spoilers Ahead.

Read on at your own risk, or skip the next two paragraphs.

Really good advice.
This is also the second anime in a row that I've watched that has cast the head religious organization as the true evil. I'm guessing there may be still be some harbored animosity in Japan towards highly organized religious organizations and cults. That or it is really just that easy to cast monolithic secretive organizations that are multinational into the role of the true villain. Heck, these organized anime religions out evil any Bond villain. Nefarious, insidious, near-omnipresent, devoid of compassion, and intolerant of those who do not bow to its singular will.

This anime really came across well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The entire idea of King Satan being cast down to a fry cook is hilarious, the idea of the Hero who is chasing him being a support-line jockey for a cellular company (Docodemo) is just funny.

It has humor, a touch of romance (even a possible touch of a love-triangle), and heroics. There are serious moments, and comedic ones. It is a strong blend that delivers well. All the characters are strong in their own right, and each moves the story along without impeding it. The main 'villain' is very amiable, and you honestly really come to sympathize with him.

I heartily recommend this series to anyone who enjoys anime. It's somewhat genre-less; just a touch of fantasy sprinkled on top of a comedy with a dash of romantic comedy thrown on top. However this makes it good. It can do what ever it needs to do to move the story along and let the characters live their lives. I ate it up several episodes at a time it was so good.

It is out on Blu-ray / DVD and I think on Hulu as well...

You should watch.

Oh yeah, the Dub was not bad. I don't watch a lot of dubs so I cannot compare it to any other recent ones, but this one was certainly passable, if not simply good.
Also good advice... but the danger for me is more the
sitting and snacking while on a computer. Whoops.

3 comments:

  1. I have seen this series so I commend you on this review. This was another good one like Maoyu but in a different way. In a completely hilarious way. It has a open end as so many anime do but I guess it can't be helped.

    Thankful for another great review. Seriously! Your reviews are great. If you liked this I would very much recommend, My Romantic Teen Comedy is Wrong As I Expected., if you haven't seen it already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That anime with the exceedingly long title is on my list to eventually watch. Right now I have a whole backlog of recent board games I'm planning on reviewing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Ha, ^-^ Yeah, the anime, with the extremely long title. Okay. And no problem. Have a good Holiday(s) this season.

      Delete