Friday, February 7, 2014

Helix - Aniqatiga (Ep.6) [TV Review]

 Welcome back to the weekly Helix episode review. I'm doing something somewhat different this week. I'm typing it while watching the episode. Well, during commercial breaks.

Be warned, the rating will be at the end, thanks to my Tivo and desire to try a new blogging style. I can't rate it until I've see it all. Pacing!


Damn it. Still the best char, and still dead.
We begin with the duplicitous Balleseros being dragged off in the snow. I really didn't expedct him to be dead. This i feel confirms his non-dead status. Meanwhile our main character, Dr. Farragut, is saying a eulogy for Doreen, the best, and most deceased, character.

Yep. Balleseros not dead. Instead he is being dragged around by what appears to be a snow version of a Tusken Raider.

Ok. I'm not gonna give every note. But right now we're playing right into trope ville. Balleseros was gut spiked with a nasty tool, and had his coat removed in the arctic. How the heck is he not dead from exposure, or at elast suffering from some significant hypothermia. We'll see. I know he's not dead, now hows he gonna come back?
Trope-fecta!

 Wait wait wait.

We just hit the mother load of all Horror Tropes: The Creepy Child, as a  Woman in White, holding a Creepy doll! Tri-freakin-fecta! This is absolutely perfect.

Oh, Bonus Trope! Catapult Nightmare to end it! I'm dying here... from laughter. It was a delusion. I'm so enjoying this show on a meta level today. I mean it's gone all 'funny.'

But wait... we're only ten minutes in and our hero is doing something very very stupid. He's going to cut his way into level R. I'm overlooking super simple thermite and just concentrate on the stupidity of cutting through a heavily sealed area (actually its not) to rescue one person that may or may not be infected, so far as he knows.

At least we've hit some gore. Hacksawing limbs is pretty gruesome and cool... but not as cool as Hatake being and evil bad-ass.

She's hot, but I still don't really like her character at all.
 Aw, frack. I knew it. Balleseros is not even suffering from anything! A seaweed pack is closing his wound, but really... what about internal damage? Also, no evidence at all of any expose damage. However, we have a new character, a cranky female peace-officer. It's 'Kat' from Battlestar Gallactica. So the cranky makes sense... I've never seen her in a non-cranky role. So we'll see... she was not my favorite Viper pilot from BSG...

"Balleseros, did you find him?"
I'm just pissed that somehow a person can be ice-axed and left in the arctic for hours. Well I assume hours... because we've not been shown a great system to recognize the passage of time.

Ok... now I'm all back to being angry at the child stuff. Julia is hallucinating and being told by her hallucination of Dr. Farragut's brother that she has forgotten something... and maybe if she asked the creepy girl she'd remember.

Hang on one weird minute. The non-diegetic music has gone all off-kilter. It's up beat and jaunty... while the virus is growing at a petri dish escaping speed. Virus should not become macro, they are micro. This is the same stuff that exploded outward when Doreen, the best character and the deadest character, was doing monkey meat tests. 

Right now the hallucinations are just hilariously predictable and trope-tasic. I'm so laughing my ass off. I wish I could give time hacks, but with Tivo and rewinding, and the fact that mine always seems to be X-number of minutes off... we'll it's not possible. But If I could I'd list the time so you can be sure to watch for the humor.

And next episode: Seven of Nine arrives.

3 out of 5 stars
And at last my rating for this episode. It's a bit lower than the last one because this was yet another cliche filled episode, but I enjoyed it since I began watching the show at a meta-level. Just too funny.

And of course my previous Helix Reviews:
- Episodes 1 & 2
- Ep.4 Single Strand
- Ep.5 The White Room
- Ep.7 Survivor Zero


We just folded space from Ix. Many new machines on Ix.

No comments:

Post a Comment