Saturday, February 1, 2014

Helix - The White Room [TV Review]

Three weeks of Helix reviews you ask? Yes, I reply, it is a new science fiction show and despite my many grumblings and misgivings and mockeries, I am watching it. For the first episode ever, I am actually glad I'm watching it. Yes, you read that right.



I am such an unbelievable ass.
Again, let me restate that, I liked this last episode. The White Room was finally a solid good episode that did not seem to be uber cliche.

Bonus: it seems to clean up some of the cliches of the previous week which is good because so far Single Strand was the low point (lets hope it never goes lower) of the whole bloody season. Never do that again, Helix, I'm not sure I can forgive you for such a lackluster cliche-fest a second time.

3.5 out of 5 stars
I still do not forgive you for killing the best character... never.
This episode is a massive cover for the previous few. It plasters over the cracks, finally introduces some real animosity between characters, and starts to actually move the plot. Amazingly, this episode has the least of all the episodes to do with the viral outbreak - which as I've suspected means that the viral outbreak is not the core of the story. Too bad they spent so long fiddling with it.

You found the blue key. This door needs the yellow key.
Keep in mind, my star rating for this episode is only reflecting this episode. It's not a whole series rating. That's still not too great as the series has a long way to go to redeem itself. This episode was a start.

It's not a long review this week, I'm a touch under the weather, and have decided that instead of me doing the review work, or in the case of the lion's share of Helix, the critique of the constant barrage of cliches, I'll just attach the preview video for this weeks episode. Hopefully on my next review I'll be feeling better.

I will touch the highlights:
- Hatake is a devious bastard who just gets more devious...
- Frozen Monkey Screams!
- Futurama Head Museum style storage equipment.
- Hallucinations fixing idiocy from Single Strand

I do question if my rating this time is too good, or just the result of me actually not being upset / pissed at an episode and genuinely enjoying what I was seeing. We'll see, the rating may get revised downward as time passes and the episode has been mulled over more. But for now, I was not upset at this episode, and that alone is a high water mark for Helix, which started off slowly.













No comments:

Post a Comment