Thursday, February 6, 2014

Ironman 3 [BD Movie Review]

I was really bad about seeing certain movies in the theaters last year. Movies I wanted to see, but just did not make it. I'm hoping that I'll not be as lackadaisical this year, but only time will tell. I also have a standing policy of waiting for deals before buying BDs.



Handy...

  So, I did finally get around to seeing Iron Man 3. The BD dropped to a reasonable price, I nabbed it, and watched it. I've got to say that it might be my favorite from the series... and sadly it might have been the end of the series? Or not... I guess we'll know once Avengers 2 (and 3) arrives... or Iron Man 4 (already being talked about).

Each of the three movies have their own charm, and much like Batman from the DC universe, Iron Man is one of my all time personal favorite super heroes. 

4 out of 5 stars
I. Am. Iron. Man. DA DA dada DA dadada DA DA.
I've always liked the super heroes who relied upon technology and skill over super powers. They are more inspirational. Sadly they all seem to have to be billionaires because no one could ever afford all their nifty toys. The poor kid growing up on a farm has to be an extra terrestrial and have super powers because he's poor... the rich kid can have the tech and skills because he's rich. I honestly think there is a very apt metaphor here...

Iron Patriot... really? Captain America wants a word.
I actually don't really want to go into the plot all that much today... There are terrorists, rogue military scientists & soldiers, butt-hurt collegiate grads holding life-long grudges... and the like. There's a whole rivalry going on... and all the demons / monsters that Stark himself created long ago. There's a lot of little details surrounding a pretty simple story structure. If we want to use the Booker's Seven Basic Plots - it is a 'Overcoming the Monster' story with a side dish of 'The Quest' and 'Rebirth' as a desert.

The Mandarin. Does he seem a touch orange to you?
See... I'd much rather talk about how much i liked Ben Kingsley's performance in the movie. I first remember him from Ghandi (1982). Which I, of course, did not see until much later in film school. I knew then that he was good... that whole movie was fantastic. So I've really enjoyed his various performances recently in both Iron Man 3 and Ender's Game.

Those are news choppers, with missiles, right?
Honestly, if you get the BD, watch the extras. There is a whole section where they have Ben Kingsley doing accents. They keep asking him to say a line with all manner of accents... then they ask him to do a British accent, his response was dead-pan perfect.   

There is a lot to enjoy in Iron Man 3. New suits, new villains, new super villains, rivalries, humor... no seriously... remember that old game Monkeys in a Barrel? Well, it comes up in the movie in a most unusual way. Bizarre references? Yes, this movie has it... although I may have just spoiled the biggest one. 

Now a bit of an aside...
I'm not satisfied with the Five Star rating system. It seems both too precise and at the same time too vague. Sometimes I feel that a simple 'Watch it' / 'Don't watch it' system would work... or a ten star system so that there is a greater variance between films. Either more or less precision... I just cannot decide which. That is why I've added a poll. Please vote.

I appreciate the symbolism from Iron Man 1 to 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment