Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey [TV Review]

 "The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be." - Carl Sagan

I had been looking forward to the re-imagining of Cosmos since I first heard the rumors of it back in 2009 or 2010 or 2011. I love the original Cosmos, I've seen it many times, been inspired by it, and learned from it. Carl Sagan is a personal hero of mine.



Why is the first thing in my mind a BNL song?
Here we are, at 11:59:59 on Dec 31 of the Cosmic Calender.
Of course I'd be lying if I did not also say that Neil deGrasse Tyson (and Brian Cox, and Michio Kaku) were also heroes of mine. They are. But Sagan was the first of my science heroes. While I myself am not a scientist, I am a philosopher, but their personal philosophies have influenced mine. I also love science, love knowledge, love discovery and exploration. They, along side art, are the pillars, the cornerstones, of the best parts of our culture.




5 of 5 stars.


I have already watched Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey three times... once on TV, and twice on the internet, in fact it is playing as I type this. I'm not sure how long the Vimeo copy will be up, but if you have not seen it... go here! NOW!

I've read books by Carl Sagan, and watched lectures by Neil deGrasse Tyson, specials with Brian Cox, and television with Michio Kaku.

But this re-imagining of Cosmos is special. Despite the fact that the original Cosmos was first shown in 1980, and updated in 1996. I did not see it until much later. I wish I had seen it before I first went to college. This new version brings the science back and shows it, and all the new discoveries and advances, to a new generation.

The Earth up there, is an imagining of the future of Earth.
When I first saw the original 1980 Cosmos, I thought, 'why is this not shown in middle school or high school science classes?' I know, after but one single episode, that I feel the same way about this Cosmos.

The first episode of Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey starts at home. Earth. It gives us our address in the universe: 

Earth
Solar System
Giordano Bruno. The animation is interesting. I like it.
Milky Way Galaxy
Local Group
Virgo Supercluster
Observable Universe

Carl Sagan. This man knew how to bring science to everyone.
And then it immediately dives into history. This is important, because science is not merely the now, it is also a history of exploration discovery and advancement. You can see further by knowing the past. The story of Giordano Bruno is told, and how he was inspired by the works of an ancient Roman philosopher, Lucretius an early Roman Atomist. How Bruno was treated in the 16th century by bringing forth old ideas, and new ideas, into an era that did not want to hear them at all, into an era that reacted in a most hostile manner.

There in is a metaphor for why the world needs a new Cosmos now. We are living in a time where somehow astrology, flat-earthers, and YECs are given equal time to actual scientists. Where anti-science views are given equal treatment on TV and in print. We need to reintroduce science and scientific thought to people, to get them to try and see reason, to explore, to discover. We do not need successive generations to be burdened with our superstitions and irrational ideas. We need science, we need STEM programs, we need a generation to grow up with science and reason. So Cosmos is a great thing. I hope families gather around the TV to watch this show together. It is one two channels, one sunday night and one monday night. Watch it.

It is beautiful.
And I'm not even talking about the amazing special effects, or the animations. Those are nice, but the science is the true beauty.

I cannot wait for the rest of the series. I know you'll find me in front of the TV watching with friends and family. This is what good television really is.

"Science is a cooperative enterprise, spanning the generations." Lets ensure that the next generation, and the generation after that, feel the same way. Show them Cosmos.

I can't help it. I keep seeing NdGT as The Illusive Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment