Saturday, August 16, 2014

Godzilla (aka: Zilla) 1998: Rifftrax Live Fathom Event (Rifftrax Event)

Man do I love seeing Mike, Bill, and Kevin on stage on a movie screen. 
That, I suppose, is why I go and see everyone of their live shows even if the movie is as outrageously terrible as Sharknado. The riffing alone can drag a terrible movie into the light and make it watchable.



He's oddly not screaming at Bart, nope, giant lizard this time.
Again, let me stress that Sharknado was a bad movie. That might be the biggest difference between this Rifftrax Live show and the last one I saw.


Honestly comparing this Godzilla movie to Sharknado is like comparing a pretty edible hamburger to a pile of fetid fly covered dog leavings slapped on a moldy old bun. You might laugh at the latter, but you would never eat it.

So a comparison between the two versions of the movie.


Godzilla (1998) - the unadulterated film with Mathew Broderick.

2.5 out of 5 stars

Rifftrax Live Godzilla - the much improved movie with constant riffing.

4.5 out of 5 stars
 
I love these little gags before the movie starts.

I'm actually kind of sad. I don't have a huge amount to say about this. The Rifftrax was excellent. I laughed constantly, rolled my eyes, and clapped at the right jokes. The original movie was not too bad. It was honestly better than the recent TMNT (which I still think I over rated), and at least as good as Divergent, another 2 and half star film.

Yes, Godzilla was a bit stilted and slow at times. It obviously borrowed from other movies like Jurassic Park. It had some unbelievably contrived scenes and sequences.

And yet, I find myself liking at least as much as the most recent remake (another movie I over rated - I really must be more critical). I was far to kind to the most recent Godzilla remake.

I always enjoy Rifftrax live events. Not a single one was a bad show. Some of the movies are better than others, it is a given. So of course I'm looking forward to the next Live show, this coming October 30th. It is the bonus movie from the Kickstarter they did - Anaconda

See you in the theater October 30th!


No comments:

Post a Comment