Thursday, August 21, 2014

Samurai Bride [Anime Review]

I never wrote about Samurai Girls, as it was an anime that I watched before I began actively writing this blog. However it is only because I watched it that I watched its sequel, Samurai Bride.



Yagyu Jubei, a samurai.
This is not the best anime I've ever watched, by a large margin. It is also not the worst.

3 out of 5 stars

It is animated very well, and has a certain unique art style to it. The style is not as strong in Samurai Bride as it was in Samurai Girls, which is unfortunate. The style is pretty cool. It is an homage to old Japanese ink paintings, Sumi-e.

This is a convenient example of the ink usage.
There is a semblance of a story in the series. Well, two stories are actually connected. One links back to the first series. However no one is watching this for the story. The story is secondary to combat and fan-service, or combat based fan-service... or maybe fan-service based combat. Well, putting it simply the reason anyone watches this is for the comedy, prurient interests, and combat. Everything else is secondary.   

Miyamoto Musashi , a dark samurai... with headphones.
I wish I was joking but I'm not.

It is really hard to explain how weird the series is. It is weird. Very. It can be fun and diverting, but it is not deep. The strangest thing is the use of Historical Japanese figures / characters such as Yagyu Jubei and Miyamoto Musashi are cast as buxom women in this anime. This is not unprecedented in anime. It is simply weird.

I find the first series better because it felt more like a sumi-e style drawing. This one still had that feel, but not as much of it. This was not bad, but it was not really good either. It just kinda was...


I really have no strong opinions one way or the other. Watch if you want, ignore if you want. It is neither so bad it needs to be avoided, nor so good it must be watched. It is a rare anime that leaves me feeling... kind of meh.

I think that this is what the series is actually all about...

No comments:

Post a Comment