Monday, October 6, 2014

Doctor Who series 8 - Kill the Moon (episode 7) [TV Review]

Yet another fantastic cover from the RadioTimes.
I am of two minds with this weeks Doctor Who episode. And, yes, I do realize that my update is late again. It happens, I try to keep to a schedule but that is not always possible. I do at least get 3 updates a week out.



The orange spacesuit is back!
The title of the episode seemed really weird at the outset. Of course it is adequately explained by the end.

Kill the Moon.
How odd.

4 out of 5 star
I am still giving this episode a pretty strong rating. There are some really excellent references and wonderful wonderful lines by the Doctor. Of course in many ways the humans are the villains again, so that was a touch predictable.

Lets see. My personal favorite reference is the Doctor using his yo-yo to test the gravity. The Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) did the same thing in the episode The Ark in Space, an episode I particularly like from that era. There is a second Tom Baker reference (although I think this has been used by several Doctors) when he tells Clara that he is not from Earth. "The Earth is not my home." There were probably more, but I tend to miss some of those... I mean there is quite a bit of Doctor Who to remember.   

Actually shocked that the Doctor takes
her out in the Tardis more than once.
I accept some of the strange stuff in the episode. The Macrovirus / Macrobacteria (the Doctor calls them 'germs,' so relatively unspecific) reminded me of the Voyager episode that covers the same thing. Weird but I've seen it before.

There is some awesome stuff too. However the most awesome stuff I'm not gonna spoil. Seriously the ending on the beach was awesome. The Doctor has some awesome speeches too, I particularly liked the whole "There are some moments in time I simply can't see. Little eye blinks, they don't look the same as other things. They're not clear. They're fuzzy. They're grey. Little moments in which big things are decided." I loved that speech.

What I did not like was Clara's ending. While I've enjoyed seeing her character improve over the course of this season, what happens at the end was a complete and totally unexpected 180°. It was too sudden. She needed to have a few more moments leading up to this complete and total change of attitude. Thankfully Mr. Pink is a far wiser person than we may have given him credit for. He is also having a smaller role than I expected, and he still has to fulfill a few things we've had mentioned. So, I'm waiting for that.

This is not a bad episode in anyway shape or form. It just has one rather bad moment. One that better be justified, because we know that Jenna Coleman is planning on leaving Doctor Who after this season. But please, please, let her leave for good reasons and not bad ones. 

Did not see this coming, did not like it. Was far too sudden.
Previous reviews:
Previous Doctor Who Series 8 reviews:
- Episodes 1 & 2: Deep Breath & Into The Dalek.
- Episode 3: The Robots of Sherwood.
- Episode 4: Listen.
- Episode 5: Time Heist.
- Episode 6: The Caretaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment