Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Spartacus [TV / DVD review]

I was having trouble figuring out what to review tonight, when I finally decided upon a TV show that ran from 2010- 2013 on Starz. I never saw it on TV, and in fact I never saw a single episode until after the final season was over.

Lucy Lawless is in this, and if you ever wanted to see her nude...
I also watched it out of order. I watched it the way the TV broadcast it, which means that I saw Gods of the Arena as season 3. In reality Gods of the Arena is season 0.

4.5 out of 5 stars
Aside from that little error on my part, I greatly enjoyed the show. It appeals to ones more visceral instincts. The show is absolutely gritty, violent, and sexual. So I guess the show also appeals to ones more prurient interests as well.
The speech patterns are one of the best parts of the series.
I mean aside from the violence and sex. 
This is but one tiny shot of excessive blood.
It is a staple of Spartacus.

Mind you I'm not complaining.

And as for nudity / sex, well, Spartacus is an equal opportunity provider. For all the nude women there are nearly an equal number of nude males. Full Frontal for everyone! I jest not. You also get to see Lucy Lawless nude, if that's your thing... It does appear that Xena's still got it. And yes, that is actually her and not a body double.

Let tongue speak honestly for a moment.

One of the most fascinating aspects of Spartacus is the speech mannerisms they use. English sentences are formulated as if they were latin. It is truly fascinating. I love listening to them speak. Even their curses sound more eloquent. "Words fall from mouth as shit from ass." Come on, that sounds so much better than calling someone a 'f*cking liar.' It takes (a little) actual thought to curse someone with such a turn of phrase.

Instead of telling someone to pay attention or focus, they would say something like "Set mind to purpose." The way Spartacus uses language is just insanely fun.

Everybody scream now. Yeah. Yeah.
Of course the combat is fun, the spectacle is great. There is intrigue and subterfuge, plots and plans, and great tales. So, do not think the show is simply battles and sex. There is a great deal of story as well.

I heartily recommend this show.
It is a feast for eyes and ears.
It is a spectacle worth watching.

Start with Gods of the Arena and then move onto Blood and Sand, followed by Vengeance, and ending with War of the Damned. Keep in mind that Spartacus's actor will change because the Andy Whitfield was diagnosed with and then died of pervasive cancer after Blood and Sand. Liam MacIntyre plays Spartacus in Vengeance and War of the Damned.


I've ordered this game. I hope it is good.
It was made by the same people who made Firefly's board game.

No comments:

Post a Comment