Thursday, June 5, 2014

Trine 2 [PS4 Review]

I'm doing this video game review after only two or so hours of play. Demo length, well... a good demo's length. But I'm confident enough in what I've seen to do a good review.



The Three Characters.
Trine 2 is the sequel to Trine, which I had never even heard of. I had to go look it up. Looks like it was the E3 Critics Choice Winner in '09. Good praise? Maybe.

Now for the Overall game score:

4 out of 5 stars
That's a pretty good rating for a Free Game. Yeah... you read that right.

I'll get to more on that later.

Right now lets talk about the game.
It is a side scrolling platformer, something that seems very rare these days. Perhaps there are more of those in the small games and indy games arena. I don't play enough of those. 
That's some foliage. Very Green.


However, unlike a lot of platformers (ok, I suddenly realize that I might be wrong about this statement), specifically ones I've played (ah ha, I qualified myself), this one comes with lots of options for actions. I remember most platformers being run & gun style. I still have fond fond memories of the original NES Contra. What a game... Okay, I'm going to stop waxing nostalgic. 
Fountain of awesomeness.

So, as I was saying. You have options. Each character has multiple special abilities. The wizard can levitate things, and create mechanical boxes. The Knight can use a sword and shield, jump very high, and wield a hammer to smash! The Thief comes with a bow, stealth, and a grappling hook.

Oh, and you can switch between the three of them on the fly. This gives you lots and lots of options of how to deal with the levels and the puzzles.  

Wizard on a bridge with a rainbow.
Now to wrap this relatively short review up with a small bit of advice.

Right now, through June, this game is FREE on PSN if you own a PS4 and have a PlayStation Plus subscription. If you have those things there is no reason not to download this game.

I'm not going to do a break down of the Graphics, Gameplay, and so on... You can click on the images and see the graphics. The music is good. The game play is a creative platformer, and that should tell you enough.

It is certainly worth your time in checking this freebie out. It is fun, creative, and colorful. What are you gonna lose by trying it out?

There is a little tiny bit of RPG leveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment