Sunday, July 27, 2014

Destiny - BETA Demo [PS4 Review]

I was not actually expecting to review Destiny. I was not expecting to buy Destiny.
However, I thought, I'll reserve the game and get the Beta code, and then if I dislike it I'll cancel my reservation. Simple, I can play the beta for free. It'll be a nice way to test a game for review.



Welcome Guardian.
My thought process had one snag.
I didn't expect to enjoy the game.

4.5 out of 5 stars
See, that was the problem. I actually really liked the game.

This should come with a few notes. First off, I really do not enjoy MMOs. I have never enjoyed the grinding, the crazy markets for trade items, and so many other things. Also, they generally have a crappy or almost non-existent story-line campaign. I also hated the previous models of pay by month. I'll readily admit that this requires (at least for the PS4) PS+ is required to play in the competitive (Crucible) matches. However I already expect to be paying yearly for a PS+ account. The free games, the requirement for any kind of online play for most games. I've already factored that in.
There are a lot of options for character design, so far.

Will you need the PS+ account to join a fire-team? No idea. Maybe, maybe not.

Titan class. Heavy armor.
I hit max level on the Beta. There are many ways to get there. You can do missions, you can grind (I plan to avoid this at all costs), you can also do a few other things (bounties, decrypt enigmas). Rumors are that the game has a max level built in. This is probably true, but I hope it is a good high one. (Rumors are 20, but that seems low). Hopefully there will also be things you can do after reaching max level.

Warlock, Hunter, Titan - the three classes.
This game is also an FPS. You can put most of those in the category of 'not my favorite games,' as well. I tend to prefer 3rd person perspective (I like to see my character). One of the things that usually bothers me in FPS are the miserable or clunky controls. Nothing in Destiny's control scheme bugged me. Which is kinda unusual, since almost every game has some bothersome niggle in the controls.   

The mission way-point locator is one of the best I've ever seen in a game. It keeps you on track very easily. I loved it. No getting lost unless you really want to.

A Captain of the Fallen. Brutal.
But you know what else rocked?

The graphics were astounding. The levels are amazing, the lunar surface was gorgeous, the mountains of Russia were beautiful. I can't wait to see what other places there will be to explore.

However there was an even more awesome aspect to the game. Peter Dinklage, yes, Tyrion Lannister, is the voice of your Ghost (little artificial companion bot). 
Do you know how amazingly cool that is? If you played the game, then yes... you do. If not.
Trust me on this. It is amazing.

So lets see...

- It's an MMO, but it looks to have a solid story campaign.

- It's an FPS but the controls are not irksome.

- The graphics are phenomenal (with the current PS4 hardware, they had better be).
- Peter Dinklage is your constant companion!
- Oh, and this is an amazingly fun game...

So I bet you can guess.

This Guardian is in trouble.
I'm not cancelling my pre-order. I'll be eagerly awaiting September 9th to roll around so that I can once again join the ranks of the last Guardians protecting the Traveler.

Well met Guardian.

No comments:

Post a Comment