Saturday, January 17, 2015

Helix "San Jose" (Season 2, Ep.1) [TV Review]

It's back!
SyFy's biological paranoia show.
I do hope this season is better than the last.



They look worried. Think they're worried about the same thing I am?
Will this season be better than the last?

Considering that I gave the last season of Helix an average rating of roughly 2.75 stars, this season should hopefully only go up. (You can check out my last seasons reviews Here.)

3.5 out of 5 stars
Hey, that is certainly a better rating than most of the episodes from last season received.

His accent may cause me to stab myself in the ears.
Several major things of note:

- During the course of the episode there are really on 2 main characters from the prior season shown. A third briefly, very briefly appears at the end and another may have shown up in the preview for next week.

- Peter Farragut (who last season was mainly a virus infected lead zombie monster) has now taken a lead role.

- This season will have a plant / fungal theme to it. I'm fairly certain of that. The green logo seems to be pretty good evidence. However, we will have to see how my prediction plays out.

- There is an unfortunate time skip in this series. You will see. However dealing with a story split over 10,000+ days could be rather irritating. We will see. 

I'm getting RE4 flashes.
- I will be very sad if Hiroyuki Sanada is not in this season. He played Hiroshi Hatake, who was my favorite character from season 1. Checking IMDB does not show him in this season... but I'm not sure if IMDB has the casting for every episode. (Actually, I know it does not. It currently only lists characters in 14 episodes, which is season 1 + S2e1). A tiny glimpse in a preview gives me hope, but again, we will see. I'm not too trusting of SyFy.

- The whole field of skulls thing. That, that was nice. I liked that. It was strong. We'll have to see how it plays out. Hopefully it will be as important as the field of frozen monkeys from season 1.

- Did anyone else get the vibe that the disease on the boat was kinda like an old X-Files episode disease? Remember the episode entitled Firewalker? That one. Again Steven Maeda was involved in X-Files, so it makes sense.

I am remaining vigilant. I will not trust this show until it proves itself. Season 1 was not a proving. Many first seasons are rough. So I'm giving this show the benefit of the doubt. Wow me. Do not disappoint me. 

So begins another season of Helix reviews.










No comments:

Post a Comment