Saturday, January 24, 2015

Helix "Reunion" (Season 2, Ep. 2) [TV Review]

It's here...
Well this week was the second episode of the second season of Helix.
Some questions will be answered, some ignored, and a few more asked.
Just like season one.



I found this somewhere out there in weblandia... and YES! I miss Hatake.

This is the episode where Alan Farragut returns, really returns. Last time he was but a cameo. This time he has lines!

3.5 out of 5 stars
We should start calling Alan the "Silver Eye Hunter" since his introduction is the murder of many silver eyes.

Oh, and before I go on... Sara is having health problems again, despite being immortal and immune to disease. No, it is not related to the pit trap she fell in last episode either. All will be revealed at the end.
Alas poor Farragut. I knew him, Hatake.

Now lets talk cultists.

Fuzzy fuzzy man.
Creepy bastard, and creepy followers. Brother Micheal bugs me on a fundamental level. He reminds me of when I attend church... zombies watching a leader. It frightens me, at a fundamental level, listening and watching people give themselves up, surrender themselves, to charismatic leaders. It is just so creepy and dehumanizing.
Creepy cultists. Creepy.

So Brother Micheal just gets under my skin. I do not like him at all... despite the fact that he actually makes sense at times. His whole particle-reason speech made a little sense...I wish it didn't.

My biggest criticism of this episode is probably going to be a major criticism I will have for the entire season. We are watching a show that spans 10,000 days. That is nearly 30 years.

Maybe they can handle this well, but I just don't trust them that far yet.

But lets get to the spoilerific section.

! Warning !
Spoilers Ahead!


So at the end of last season we knew that Sara was pregnant with Alan's child. However after she became pregnant she received treatment for her cancer with a serum made from Jule's spinal fluid.

Season 2 rolls around. No sign of kid... what happened? Did she abandon it? Get an abortion?

Nope. Thanks Helix. She is still pregnant with an unaging fetus. Yep. 15 months pregnant and still stuck in an eternal first trimester. That is why she bleeds, from her nose.

Damn you Helix. This is either incredibly brilliant and works with your science fiction mumbo-jumbo... or this is incredibly stupid and your writers wrote themselves into a corner and used this as an escape hatch... or both. I'm really leaning towards the answer being 'both.' This seems both brilliant and stupid at the same time.

And that honestly sums up Helix for me. Both brilliant and stupid at the same time. Intriguing and exasperating. This is a show of conundrums. I both enjoy it, and deride it.

Until next week.


Previous Helix Season 2 Reviews:

- S2 Ep. 1: San Jose

Previous Helix Season 1 Reviews:

- Eps. 1 & 2: Pilot and Vector
- Ep. 4: Single Strand
- Ep. 5: The White Room
- Ep. 6: Aniqatiga
- Ep. 7: Survivor Zero
- Ep. 8: Bloodlines 
- Ep. 9: Level X
- Ep. 10: Fushigi
- Ep. 11: Black Rain
- Ep. 12: The Reaping

No comments:

Post a Comment