Saturday, September 19, 2015

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials [Movie Review]

I have certainly been slow on my reviews, but with new movies its hard to pass up the chance to talk about them. Especially science fiction movies...



Lets analyze the expressions, left to right:
Dull, mild shock, surprise, confusion.
I'm probably being a touch mean.
I'm having a slight bit of trouble figuring out where to begin. I suppose I should be very straight forward.

I do not think the sequel stands up to the original. While the original was somewhat innovative and filled with mystery, the sequel has abandoned almost all of those elements.

3.5 out of 5 stars
Things are far too obvious and easily resolved in the sequel. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but nor is it a good thing.

What I'm getting at is that this is far more rooted in YA motifs. It has themes and plot developments that are closer to Divergent than to the first Maze Runner.

Ah, this is better. Things in jars.
But you know what really gets my goat? (Or some other strange metaphor). This became a Zombie Movie.

I knew there was a chance it could go that way... but it did not have to. The way the Flare was first shown was less 'plant-alien zombie' and more crazed-psycho-killer-angry. At least I thought that was the way it was shown. I might have been wrong.

It's the 'Luke Skywalker Ice Caves Tryout.' 
Now, I'm not a Zombie movie hater, nor and I a Zombie movie lover. There are some good ones (original Night of the Living Dead, Sean of the Dead), and some very bad ones (28 Days Later).

These people do not know how to travel in the desert.
You travel in the night and camp down during the day.
Let me get back to something.

Nothing in this movie was mysterious (aside from why the heck are the Flare infected people 'plant-like'?). Everything I would say here would be a spoiler, and I want to avoid that. But just trust me on this - you will not be shocked by anything that happens. The revelations, the betrayals, the identity of people... nothing at all is shocking or mysterious.

I wanted that. That was a big part of what made the first film fun.

Oh, and it was nice to see Petyr Baelish in the movie. Sure the actor might have another name, but he is always going to be Petyr Baelish.

Still with all my bitching, I will finish this series off. I am hoping that there is only going to be one final movie and not go the route of so many other YA series - splitting the final book in to two movies. Please do not do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment