Monday, September 14, 2015

Marvel Star Wars Comics [Multiple Comic Reviews]

I consider this to be a part of my own personal journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens - a review of all the currently released Marvel Star Wars Comics. Oh there will be more, I'm currently reading Aftermath by Chuck Wendig. That review will be up later. For now - Comics!



Each comic will be getting it's own little blurb and a star review score. I hope I ahve them in the order they first came out. I'm not sure. 

4 out of 5 stars
First up: Star Wars (2015). This series takes place in the time between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. The story of this one begins strong but then interrupts itself with a one shot Obi-wan side/back story, (that should have been it's own comic). It's not bad, and I think it is certainly getting better. The whole Han / Leia bit is actually going to be very interesting.

It needs to maintain its pace to stay good, it cannot do any more side / back stories if they do not advance the current plot.  Issue #009 is out Sept 16th.





3.5 out of 5 stars
Second on the docket is Darth Vader. This story is being told concurrent with the aforementioned Star Wars (2015). This one just gets weird. It started off pretty cool, but then soon began to add in a large collection of characters, most of whom I don't care about. The interesting elements are the tension between Vader and the Emperor, and Vader's quest to find the pilot who destroyed the Death Star. Lord Vader is impressive, certainly.

This one needs to improve some. Issue #009 came out Sept. 9th.  


4 out of 5 stars
Next up is Kanan: The Last Padawan. Personally, this was the series I was most looking forward to. I wanted to know how Kanan Jarrus (Star Wars Rebels) survived Order 66. Even after reading A New Dawn, I still did not have my answer. Now I know. I have enjoyed what I've read, it has been short but interesting. After the last issue, things look to be headed in a completely new direction. We shall see.

This one is certainly on my continue to read list. I really enjoy Rebels, so anything extra on that is nice. Issue #006 is coming out Sept. 23rd.



4.5 out of 5 stars
Fourth, but not last, and certainly not least is Lando. None of the other Star Wars comics have started nearly as strong as Lando did. That was just an excellent start. I think the comic should have been called Calrissian, but that's me. As it stands this one has had the shortest run, but the most consistent feel from issue to issue.

This one is a do-not-miss Star Wars comic. Issue #004 is coming Sept 16th, but the Marvel site does not even have an updated cover for it...



3 out of 5 stars
The last of the current comics is also the least. That's just sad. The art in it is very good, but the story is just not there yet.Will I continue reading? For now yes... I want to know what occurs post Battle of Endor (aside from what I'm reading in Aftermath). However this really needs to pick up the story and the pace. Begining the story on the down beat of the victory at Endor was just unsatisfying.

I'm going to continue reading this, and hope it improves. There is one issue out at the moment, and issue #002 is due out next month I'd guess considering that #001 was last week.


I'm only covering the continuing comic series. Leia is already over and was a short five issue mini series that was nice for her character, but ultimately it did nothing but add a small spinkling of detail to the Star Wars universe. A very small sprinkling.

Chewbacca is slated to get his own mini series sometime in October. It will also be a short five issue mini series. There are details in the article linked. I am looking forward to this one. It will be interesting to see what time frame it is set in.

Well that's all for this review. I'll try to be back soon with another review.
(I hope my formatting holds on this article.)

No comments:

Post a Comment