Tuesday, January 7, 2014

World's End [Movie Review]

I missed seeing this movie in theaters. Which was kinda depressing considering how much I love the previous two films in the Cornetto Trilogy. Shaun of the Dead is one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen, hilarious and at the same time it had a solid zombie vibe. Hot Fuzz was a brilliant movie, it completely surprised me when I first watched it. It was not what I was expecting.


It should not have been a surprise to me that this movie would be the perfect end piece of the trilogy, successfully combining elements of both films. World's End was a classic Quest style plot, actually it was a multilayer voyage and return. Each of the Cornetto Trilogy movies is built around one of the classic seven plots. They each push the boundaries of the classic plots, but I would say that Shaun of the Dead is a 'rags to riches' plot, and Hot Fuzz is a 'overcoming the monster' style plot. Not to say that the Booker style plot categorization is the only style, just the one I'm most familiar with, and thus the one I use.
I don't understand a thing you just said.

For instance in almost any major work you can actually discern several plots, sometimes as subplots, sometimes as concurrent plots. In World's End I can see elements from the 'rebirth' plot structure and there is an obvious link to the 'voyage and return' plot structure.

Well anyways, I spent too long talking plot structure, I should really talk about whether I liked the movie or not.

Who am I kidding? Of course I liked it. There was no way that the final chapter of the Cornetto Trilogy was going to let me down.
4 out of 5 stars
This makes me think of hamburgers, 5 Guys. Now I'm hungry.

The movie actually started off rather slow with a massive flashback. Not what I was expecting, but it really works as an introduction to the characters.

Very nice alien effect. Actually the aliens are quite interesting.
When they were teenagers the '5 Musketeers' attempted the famous Golden Mile, a pub crawl spanning twelve pubs. When the teens first attempted it, they lost members along the way, eventually abandoning the trek after nine pubs. Now, as an adult Gary King (Simon Pegg), gets the musketeers back together in an attempt to recapture the glory of youth, but this time he is aiming to complete the Golden Mile.

Gary never really grew up, and this is evident right from the beginning. His four friends did grow up, get real jobs, and some even have families... but through some serious wheedling Gary pulls the group together and they set off on an adventure that will eventually culminate in them beating the plaster out of blue blooded aliens. Repeatedly. Often with bar stools. 

 There is a lot of fun to be had watching this movie. There are a lot of little games the viewer can play. It's important to observe everything very closely as there are lots of little clues and hints and double meanings littered like bread crumbs through the film. I'm going to have to watch it a second time to enjoy everything.

There are also some significant morality tales spread through out World's End. I really don't want to elaborate on them as they contain some major spoilers. The small details I've given above are barely spoilers. If you saw one preview you knew that they were going to encounter aliens, at least I hope you knew that. Anyways, If you enjoyed the first two movies in the Cornetto Trilogy, I heartily endorse seeing this movie.
If you have not seen the rest of the movies from the trilogy, I highly suggest you see those as well.

Besides, it has a great cast. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Rosamund Pike, and some excellent guest appearances. It took me a second but I recognized Peirce Brosnan, and who can forget David Bradly in anything they see him in (Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, and Adventures in Time and Space)  

It's a good Blu-ray, worth adding to your collection. Especially if you own the other movies in the trilogy.

Significant.



No comments:

Post a Comment