Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Room: Rifftrax Live Fathom Event (Rifftrax Event)

Second showing on May 12th.
I first heard of The Room while browsing videos on YouTube, a group called CinemaSins, and the world was changed. I was watching a mockery of what may be one of the worst movies of all time. (Ok, it's actually not Manos the Hands of Fate bad... but it tries.)



I'll be seeing all of these, except Santa and Ice Cream Bunny.
I've already seen that. And Huuur, Hurr, Hur...
I don't think I can sit through it again.
Then Rifftrax began a new kickstarter. They had done one before that brought us Starship Troopers and Godzilla (1998). This Rifftrax live group of movies is a special event known as The Crappening.

Last night was the first of this epic four film crapfest... sorry, Crappening. They riffed Tommy Wiseau's self-directed, self-written, and self-starring magnum opus The Room.

I have not laughed so long and so hard in a good while.

The movie is just perfect for riffing.
Bill, Kevin, and Mike. Making movies funny.

The Room, without rifftrax
2 out of 5 stars
The Room, Rifftrax Live Event.
5 out of 5 stars
Let me introduce you to one of the many incompetent
football scenes. There are many.
Yes, it makes that much of a difference. The riffing is that good. Oh, and there was a Bonus Short! The very last installment of At Your Fingertips, a shorts series about telling children to play in the garbage. We finally learn that yes, Corn is a grass.

The short is about making things Float, on water. The title doesn't say on water... so, it could have been more interesting, it isn't. It involves lots of boat making using the garbage from your groceries. I pity those children.

Setting that aside, lets talk about The Room.

There is a really truly tragic fact about this movie.

Proof that Tommy should not improvise scenes.
There is the hint of a real plot buried beneath the incessant establishing shots, the terrible football throwing, incomprehensible editing choices, and the miserable acting. The story might actually have been acceptable if the film didn't have those thing... and a few others. Not a great film, maybe not even a good one, but not the travesty of cinema that the Room is.

If you can place Johny's accent, bravo for you.
It is one of those films that is so bad, it is hilarious. This is why it is the perfect movie to watch in Rifftrax Live Show.   
Two random people enter Johny's apartment and start
having oral sex. What.
Oh, and this guy gets off before she goes down.


It's hard to describe just how funny they make it. There is a scene where Lisa and Matt are having sex on a spiral staircase. The Rifftrax dialogue between Mike and Bill might be one of the funniest moment in all of MST3K and Rifftrax history. Even Kevin is having a hard time keeping his composure. 

I can throw a few lines out there, but I'd rather not. You should go and see this for your self. I'm not joking around, this is is a must see limited event. (I'm hoping for a DVD sometime in the future). It was worth every cent I spent... even on the over priced theater soda.

This five second scene is the only real acting in the film.
I cannot stress enough that you should go and see this Rifftrax Live Event.

No wait... let me actually give you one line from the Rifftrax.

"Hip-dick."
That's it.

I hope to see you at the rest of these awful movie and excellent opportunities for Riffing. I will certainly be seeing Sharknado 2 (I watched it myself, by myself, before they Riffed it. I have a lot of regrets about that.), and Miami Connection. I just do not think I can sit through Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny... besides December is all about Star Wars The Force Awakens.

Go see this Rifftrax Live Show on May 12th.

Meanwhile, I leave you with the link to CinemaSin's sin tally of The Room.
You have got to see this.


No comments:

Post a Comment