Saturday, April 25, 2015

Other Space [Yahoo Web TV Review]

It is a brave new world... well, not really. But I think this is only the second show I've watched solely on the web. The first being Star Wars Rebels (there are two links there), because I was able to watch it on Disney XD online.

 

Joel and Trace... Trace is the robot, of course.
There is one, no two big reasons, why I decided to watch this show: Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu. If you are a fan of MST3K, you know who I am talking about. If you are not... you should rectify that.

This is a very modern science fiction comedy show. That takes a bit to get used to for me. The first episode was very very rough...

4 out of 5 stars
However the characters do build quickly. They begin to pop with their own unique quirks, and become easily distinguishable (in fact to poke fun at their own characterizations in the fourth episode, there are subtitles that play off of them). The situations are funny, and the whole premise is tongue in cheek.

The uniforms seem to be bad ideas. That target is right over
heart. Or the breasts. Only Joel has a smart uniform.
The show does have a lot of feelings towards MST3K. The crew is literally lost in space, perhaps not time... but perhaps time as well. Hard to tell. Even better, Trace who voiced Crow T. Robot in MST3K, voices the robot Art. In MST3K, Crow was often called Art by Pearl Forrester (who was Dr. Clayton Forrester's mother. Trace also played Dr. Clayton Forrester.)

I'm enjoying the show. It has improved from episode to episode. There are only eight episodes in season 1, and I've watched four. I'm looking forward to watching the rest. If it continues to improve, I do hope the show takes off.

[From left to right]
A.R.T., Zalien Fletcher, Tina Shukshin, Michael Newman,
Stewart Lipinski, Karen Lipinski, Kent Woolworth, and Natasha.

No comments:

Post a Comment