Saturday, April 18, 2015

Final Fantasy Record Keeper [Mobile Game]

I do not think I've ever written about a mobile game before. You can check my archives. There is a reason, I usually eschew mobile games. I had a few on my iPhone back in the days when I owned an iPhone, but they were mainly things like Mahjong, and Chess.


Look at all the characters!
This is my second mobile game for my Android phone. I'm not an operating system snob, I'll use iOS or Android. Good thing this game is available on both. 

4 out of 5 stars
Because you should get it.
It's a freemium game. Which means I've spent exactly no dollars on it, and will spend no dollars on it. It's is one of those games where you can do X number of actions and then have to wait, but the wait is actually rather short, and it makes for nice short play sessions.
Explain why I could not find many non-Japanese
images? I mean, yes, this is a Square Enix game...
but still. I have no problem with this.

That is not the reason to get the game.

No game since Final Fantasy VI (III in the US) has felt like a classic NES/SNES Final Fantasy game. This does.

This has that classic feel. The one where you select actions like Attack, Defend, or in this case Ability (which can be spells, summons, or more). Now the mobile version has a 'Auto' mode that simply attacks. This is actually nice because if you remember back to the older FFs, you really spent most of your time simply hitting Attack when you action bar was filled. This does it for you. Now, in more complex battles, you do not want 'Auto' on. You want control, so you can cast those spells and make the most of an enemies weakness.
Items screen. I wish my list contained that
many 4 & 5 star items...



This game also rewards you if you can remember those old bosses and enemies. They are all back, all the way back to Final Fantasy IV (II in the US) at least. It may go earlier... I do not know yet. I certainly battled an Antlion and a few others from FFIV. 

I enjoying this as a pure nostalgia trip. It takes me back. And not just to the old SNES games, but back to FFVII, FFX, and more. I have yet to explore this game deep enough.

I am enjoying it, and considering it is free, I recommend it.  

And now I've got to get back to earning my Aerith. I've already got Tidus, Kain, Cloud, and Rydia... need more named chars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment