Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Satellite Reign [PC Game]

It's now time for part 7 of my 'Games I recently bought on a Steam Sale.'
I'm learning something about what games I enjoy currently.



Woo. Typical game... image... thing.
I'm learning that RTS games no longer hold any appeal for me.

This was the second game I bought that was just really lack luster and less than fun, for me at least.

2 out of 5 stars
I wish that I knew that sooner.
I used to enjoy games like Star Craft and Age of Empires... but I'm not sure I would anymore. But perhaps the old traditional ones, like the ones I just mentioned, might be good enough. I don't know. I never bought the most recent Star Craft because it never sounded like a complete game to me. I know, heresy right? Or is 'Traitor!' the new appropriate term? (I like it better.)
Yet another shot of the game.

I wish that being RTS was the only problem with the game.

No. The AI in this game is unbelievably stupid. Both my characters and the enemies would suddenly and inexplicably stop shooting at an opponent who is shooting them. When an enemy would be at point black range, and they were in combat mode, and being shot... if they were not explicitly ordered to fire back they would not.

I find myself unable to care about actually writing even
a mildly satisfying legend for this image of this
boring and dross game.
Direct commands are fine, but a small tiny, itsy-bitsy bit of realism built into the AI would have been nice.

And the size of the areas. They are immensely huge, and your slow paced team of unhealthy cybernetics (the stamina bar used for running goes down real fast) takes forever to cross small sections of it. And of course, they don't work as a unit too well because if any of them make a mistake the entire group can be attacked. So you either have to split up your small group of soldiers in a huge map... or move each of them slowly along together.

The game does try and do some interesting things, but they just fall flat. The graphics are nice enough... but that really does not make up for the sheer lack of fun I had playing the game.

Much like the first page of a book should grab you, the first few minutes of a game should grab you too. The game does not have to start in media res, but it has to hook you in some way. I found neither the story, nor the game play, nor the characters (or lack of characters) to be interesting or involving. Nothing grabbed me and said 'keep playing!'

At least this time I was able to get a Steam refund.

I do not recommend this game.

 'Games I recently bought on a Steam Sale' review event links.

Endless Legend
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
The Stanley Parable
This War of Mine 



No comments:

Post a Comment