Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion [PC Game]

Welcome to my third installment of 'Games I recently bought on a Steam Sale.'
The prior two games I've reviewed in this series, This War of Mine and The Stanley Parable, were very good and/or very interesting games.

This actually looks kinda cool... right?

Take note of the red indicators I've added. That's how
many units are currently in this one system...
This is a mess.
Sadly, the third installment is not nearly as good, nor interesting.

Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion has been a major letdown.

2 out of 5 stars
In the image with the red indicators, you can actually
see starships. However that is not how the game
is played. Most of the time you are at this zoom level
or even further out. All those graphics are wasted.
I'll admit a small part of the fault is mine. I bought an RTS that sold me on the 4X elements. What I really wanted was a 4X game that had a few RTS elements. Nope... This is all RTS. It pretends to be a 4X game, but only to the extent that a game like Starcraft is a 4X game. Yes, you explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate but not like a real 4X game like Civilization or Beyond Earth or Endless Legend (a forthcoming review).

This is a full blown RTS game.  

Maybe I just don't like RTS anymore... I don't know. But this game kinda sucks as far as I am concerned.

Giant Freakin' Mess. It is worse than a Zerg Rush.
Even after running through the tutorials, I found that many things were unexplained. The speed of science, concurrent science research, other species science trees, diplomacy in general (the explanation was a mess, diplomacy is a mess), and pirates... there are probably more, but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

I tried in vain to get a refund for steam, but having never read the guidelines before I had played more than their 2 hours allowed for a refund. Which kinda sucks because the tutorials alone almost ate up that entire amount of time.  And then I actually tried to play a game... which put me at 4 hours. Twice what steam allows for a refund.

I'm just considering this a lesson. Take a bit more care with which games I buy, even if they are on sale.

I've got a few more games in my recently bought queue I need to go through, keeping to that 2hr limit unless I'm really having fun.

Let that be a lesson for everyone, if you didn't know,
Steam only allows up to 2 hours of play time if you want a refund.

Learning experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment