Sunday, January 3, 2016

This War of Mine [PC Game]

In 1992 Sarajevo was besieged. The siege lasted until 1996. 11,500+ civilians were killed, including 1,500 children. That siege, and the suffering of civilians in wartime, inspired this game.

Someday, if you are in a dark mood you should look up the casualty
count from World War II. It will depress you.
Will you steal to survive? Will you kill to survive?
This is a survival game.
However this is not your typical survival game, most of which, lets admit involve zombies or the like. Most of those are FPS games, or close enough.

4.5 out of 5 stars
This game is not like those.

Others will steal from you.
The enemy is not some easily personified shambling monster. No... the enemy is starvation, cold, depression, fear, anxiety, and other humans.

This true survival.

This is a harsh game.

Depression is as lethal an enemy as a sniper or raider.
I lost my first game, roughly. Less than thirteen days into the game I had two broken people. The weight of the war had crushed them. They spent the entire day standing stock still, unable to act. Soon after I had two people die of wounds in one night. The next day one of my people gave up all hope and left. My sole survivor did not last much longer as the next night every thing I owned was stolen in a raid.

All hope was lost before the 17th day rolled around.

I've begun my second game.
Will you sacrifice to help others? Will you hoard?
What will happen to your humanity?
I'm doing better this time, but my people are still suffering.  Hunger is a major problem. However in this game, illness is less of a concern.

This game is brilliant, but cruel.

Few games capture the horror of war quite so well, and in this one you never see a battle.

You simply see the results of war, the lives it breaks, the people it destroys.

This is an entertaining game.
However I feel that calling it fun might not be the right word choice. It is not exactly what one would call a 'fun' game, but it is engrossing. You begin to feel the struggle to survive, yourself, as you engage with the game.

I first saw it on Extra Credits 'Games You Might Not Have Tried #7.'

Totally worth the tiny amount it cost me on the Steam Holiday Sale.

I nabbed several other games on this sale, and hope to review them soon. 
How can you turn this into a board game?
I'll be interested to see.







No comments:

Post a Comment