Saturday, January 9, 2016

South Park the Stick of Truth [PC Game]

Installment #5 of the 'Games I recently bought on a Steam Sale.' This time, it was for a game I bought because... I like South Park, I guess. And it was on sale. Otherwise I would have not bought it. Sales do strange things to people.
 

Mongorians! A horde of them.
Still, the game is oddly fun.
Despite the constant fart jokes...

4 out of 5 stars
You have to like South Park to actually want to play this game. There is no other way you are going to play an RPG like this...

Otherwise I'm not sure the humor will fly with you.

Professor Chaos!
Yep... that's a quest. You have to find Jesus.
Beyond the South Park style of humor, which involves Nazi Zombies, Anal Probes, constant fart jokes, talking poop, and more... there is an RPG here. You get to design your own character, who you will name (not that it matters), equip and modify, and even choose a class for.

You fight battles, which are honestly the biggest let down of the game, and level up your character. You only ever get one companion, but you can swap them out in battle.

See, this is the kind of humor you need to laugh at to
enjoy this game. If you can't laugh at alien anal probes...
The battles are lack-luster because they require too much fiddly mouse clicking at precisely the right time. Miss the click by more than a the tiniest fraction and you the ability fails. This is even worse with your special powers.

I largely get through battles using basic attacks and my companion's powers. And health potions... which are not an issue since they cost roughly $1.00 in game, and money is really really easy to get. I have over $400.00 in game and I'm not that high of a level. Most gear is only costing me around $10 right now...

So two bad things: Money System & Clicky-Combat. Other than that, a rather fun little rude RPG.

I would suggest you only get this game on sale. While I'm having fun, I'm not sure it would be worth full price at any time. Still, I've enjoyed it more than I expected to. It was certainly worth the sale price, but the sale price only.

And it can be obnoxiously funny. Which is exactly what it should be.

Since I forgot to do this earlier, here is a list of my reviews for this special 'Games I recently bought on a Steam Sale' review event.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
The Stanley Parable
This War of Mine 



No comments:

Post a Comment