Saturday, February 21, 2015

Helix "M. Domestica" (Season 2, Ep. 6) [TV Review]

Sixth week of Helix, and I'm not certain that either I or the plot knows where it is going.
This week was not a high water mark.


Yes, let us plot genocide in the boardroom...
So...

Is Ilaria just going to be vampire references now? We live long, and have been persecuted...

3 out of 5 stars
However, once again, I begin to wonder if they are being cast as something of a misguided heroic group. No, not really... it's just that there is this rising theme in television and movies of giving the bad guys good motives that they then choose bad methods to achieve. The world is dying because of over population and pollution. Solution? Channel Bender Bending Rodriguez. "Kill All Humans." Or at least 75% of them... we'll pull a Doctor Strange Love and save those we want to keep alive, because they are useful.
Ooo. Honey... delicious deadly honey.

Ok, good things in the episode.

Dropping rats in the Oubliette was actually really evil. Really really evil. I would not want to have been in there with those. That is evil.

And I think I'm done.

Bad Things:

Quarantine means something different in this case I guess.
The CGI rat. Oh, c'mon, get a real rat. Seriously.

The damn "Black Widow" or "Evil Conniving Woman" trope is just... done to death. All she has is her sex appeal to manipulate people, so that's all she uses. Again, damn it, lets create characters that are bigger than that. Yes, she has a creepy past. Her mother is her sister... so was her grandmother... and so on back in time. Creepy, and disturbing, but is that reason enough that she is just evil to be evil?

This was a real 'Texas' heavy episode...
Maybe. But she's just willing to do anything to get her way, which does not really seem to be anything more complex than teenage rebellion. I'm angry and I'm gonna lash out at everyone. I'll seduce 'Texas,' I'll give 'Lurch' some handies, I'll have 'Lurch' drug the kids to kill 'Texas,' I'll frame my mother... I'm evil!

There is no strong motive, she's just been evil for the sake of evil... and I'm not a fan of that. Give me motive, good motive.

The one thing this season has done well.
It has shown, in stark detail, the dangers of religious fanaticism. This season has done a good job of evoking the memory of Waco, and you can just feel a Jones Town vibe. Creepy and extreme... 

We'll see if they keep it up.


Previous Helix Season 2 Reviews:

- S2 Ep. 1: San Jose
- S2 Ep. 2: Reunion
- S2 Ep. 3: Scion
- S2 Ep. 4: Densho
- S2 Ep. 5: Oubliette

Previous Helix Season 1 Reviews:

- Eps. 1 & 2: Pilot and Vector
- Ep. 4: Single Strand
- Ep. 5: The White Room
- Ep. 6: Aniqatiga
- Ep. 7: Survivor Zero
- Ep. 8: Bloodlines 
- Ep. 9: Level X
- Ep. 10: Fushigi
- Ep. 11: Black Rain
- Ep. 12: The Reaping



No comments:

Post a Comment