Sunday, July 24, 2016

Oxenfree [PC Game]

Olly Olly Oxenfree.
Olly Olly Oxenfree.
So the children sing and play games, and when the games ends they can all come out from hiding.
Again - on a boat.

I'm honestly not sure if this has anything to do with this game... but I think it does. I really think it does.

Do you remember playing hide-and-go-seek? When it was time for all the hidden children to come out, this is what you would shout. (I'm honestly not trying to rhyme).

This seems important for the game.
Radio Free Europe this is not. 

5 out of 5 stars!
This is a horror / mystery game. Or maybe that should be thriller / mystery game. I want to say it is a metroidvania game, but it is not. There's not really a lot of action jumping or running, and there are no weapons.

Honestly the artwork is very cool in the game.
The only things you have in this game are your choices, attitude, and a radio. The radio is going to get you in so much trouble. The greatest part of this game is the fact that you actually have more choices than are shown on screen. You can always choose to say nothing - it is the extra choice. So, provided the game actually reacts differently to each on screen choice you make there are hundreds, nay, thousands of possible dialogue results.

I've yet to finish the game... but it has been so fascinating, so entrancing. I want to know the story - what is happening, what is going on? There is just the right amount of creepiness and mystery to keep me interested. I'm so interested that I can't wait to play the game a second time so that I can try entirely new options and choices. There are so many.

Oh, and the story. It is complex. It involves history (or at least fictional history), teen angst (sorta), dealing with the loss of loved ones, and more.

If I had to give the game one downside it would be the slowness. There are times when the walking and climbing are a touch slow. I wish that my character ran a touch faster and climbed a bit quicker. Just so I could get to more of the story more quickly. Now I understand why sometime you are kept to a slow pace - dialogue is occurring whilst you are traveling. However this does detract from how much enjoyment I've gained from the game.

Of all the games I recently picked up on Steam, this is by far the best.

The music is interesting. Here, have a listen.
 
Do these people not look at the photos they take?

I think I'll just keep adding to my list of Game I've Bought on Steam to Review.

Summer 2016
Mini Metro

Winter 2015
HuniePop
The Talos Principle
Pillars of Eternity
Satellite Reign
Endless Legend
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
The Stanley Parable
This War of Mine 

No comments:

Post a Comment