Friday, March 20, 2015

Helix "Mother" (Season 2, Ep. 10) [TV Review]

 
It's been a while since I've done this. But this week I think I'll do an installment of "Grandpa Yells at the TV" or in other words a write as I watch segement. I don't tod these too often, I'm not sure how well they are received, but I'll give it another go. The star rating will be at the bottom this week.





Julia, is she perhaps a sympathetic character?

At the get go, Jules, Julia, whatever, is being all bad-ass threatening Hand-Job Girl. No, I do not care to know her real name. She is by far and away my least favorite character, which is actually saying something.

Dr. Kyle, hey I've remembered Texas's real name... well they said it, is all jumpy from eating diseased honey.

Hahahahahaaaaa... Lurch is now just a massive lump of barely breathing flesh. I should feel something aside from humour, but I cannot.

Of course, this would not be much of an episode if things could be resolved easily, so Mother, the tree with roots for making the infertility drug is of course missing.

"Words have meaning," no shit Sherlock.

Oh, wonderful Landry was also the child of Middle-Woman, Anne or something. That makes him, receiver of hand-jobs, brother to Hand-Job girl. Glad to know that this whole creepy cult seems to be incestuous. Also, Landry is a lumpy ninja. Because there is no other person in the world who could possibly get off a metal frame bed without making any noise. Only a ninja...

Thank goodness, I was worried that we would not have an inappropriate song. It really fits in with Hand-Job Girl going crazy. I am enjoying this more than I should. C'mon Balleseros, kill her. Just do it. Strangle Hand-Job Girl.

Also, so happy the Mother root, is just that. A root in a rusted metal box, partially filled with a liquid. Woo. So majestic... no wait, that is not the word. Banal. That's the word.     

Wait, Anne 'knows human nature'... that may be the most unintentionally funny line in this whole series.

Is it just me, or am I now sympathizing with Jules. She wants to cause the world to be infertile to allow the resources to replenish. While some resources won't replenish... the idea is a nice one.

I'm gonna have to use google and see if the CDC actually has armed goons.

Ah, at last we may finally figure out what was up with the tooth and goop scene from all the way back in episode one.

Texas talks with the one eyed boy. (Kyle and Soren).
"We all sound the same underwater." Amazing an actually cool creepy line. Ah, Beer commercials. Wish I had a beer right now.

Is Soren doing a stupid thing. Yes, yes he is. On TV it is very easy to convince people to do stupid things, all you have to say is C'mon. Doesn't work for me... Balleseros failed to kill Hand-Job Girl even though I was egging him on.

And now, the Blue Danube by Strauss. Enjoy. At least the music is classical, if a bit over used.

Please let us in on the Teeth secret. Oh, shit... we've wandered into Babylon 5 territory. "What do you want. What do you want." I didn't realize that Anne was channeling Mordin. But at elast we've found out that Peter liked being a Zombie.
Anne has just been promoted to really monster.
Her daughter is insane, she is a monster.

Oh, I think Lurch may actually be dead now. Or not... because I'm not sure they're going to kill off Balleseros. Unless we're about to find out that he's a silver eyes.

What kind of man do you want to be? One who fears? Or one who wants to be feared? Only two choices?
Oh, fun... a breeding farm. A real true breeding farm. I think we've hit the creepiest scene in the whole series. I mean it. That right there was downright creepy. I'm actually impressed, disgusted and freaked out, but impressed. That was disturbing. Damn that is disturbing. I'm still feeling uncomfortable.

And then we end with the idea of implanting Sara's fetus in Hand-Job Girl. Now I'm back to disliking Julia.

You know what else is weird... we had no flash forward 30 years scenes in this episode. Hmmm...

Next week will involve the CDC bombing the island I guess.

4.5 Stars out of 5.
I'm not sure a Helix episode has ever scored this well.
That scene was just so creepy and disturbing that this got a good bump.
You entertained me, disgusted me, but entertained me.



Previous Helix Season 2 Reviews:

- S2 Ep. 1: San Jose
- S2 Ep. 2: Reunion
- S2 Ep. 3: Scion
- S2 Ep. 4: Densho
- S2 Ep. 5: Oubliette
- S2 Ep. 6: M. Domestica
- S2 Ep. 7: Cross Pollination
- S2 Ep. 8: Vade in Pace
- S2 Ep. 9: Ectogenesis

Previous Helix Season 1 Reviews:

- Eps. 1 & 2: Pilot and Vector
- Ep. 4: Single Strand
- Ep. 5: The White Room
- Ep. 6: Aniqatiga
- Ep. 7: Survivor Zero
- Ep. 8: Bloodlines 
- Ep. 9: Level X
- Ep. 10: Fushigi
- Ep. 11: Black Rain
- Ep. 12: The Reaping

No comments:

Post a Comment